1. The word Virtual means that a VA can provide assistance to any person from a location that is not bound by geographical borders. The assistance is typically provided via phone, fax and internet based technology. VAs usually work from the comfort of their own homes utilising their own furniture and computerised equipment.
2. A VA is a highly skilled individual and usually has a few years administrative experience. This experience can include typing- and word processing skills, computer-, software- and internet knowledge and sufficient office management and organizational skills.
3. VAs own their businesses. They are not employees or contract workers or freelanceworkers. They are professionals who want to make a success of their own businesses. In order to do that, it often happens that VAs becomes an integral part of their clients’ companies. The VA gets to know their clients’ business inside and out. Through virtual assistance, they give the client the opportunity to focus on growing his business with the peace of mind that a professional virtual partner will take care of the rest. Such a successful partnership guarantees a win-win solution for both parties.
4. VAs can provide a wide array of services. Depending on their experience and skills, these services can be attuned to fit the requirements of their clients.
5. VA services can be provided to a vast number of different professions including doctors, lawyers, authors, real estate agents, business and professional coaches, entrepreneurs and basically any progressive business that wants to make a smart choice.
VA careers have being around for a mere 15+ years and can therefore be regarded as a fairly new profession.
It is however, steadily gaining acceptance and momentum, especially among women entrepreneurs and small to medium size business owners.
The Virtual Assistant business is booming and is receiving more and more attention and publication worldwide. It has been cited by the US Bureau of Labour Statistics that administrative assistant jobs will grow by more than 9% per year between 2006 and 2016 – very exciting news for any prospecting VA and SME (Small-Medium-Enterprise) that wants to enter the virtual assistance arena.
For more information also read